Puna & Atacama
Puna & Atacama is an exclusive and exciting 10-day tour. Exclusive because of travelling in some of the most remote and unique places of the Globe, including the crossing of the Andean Borders between Argentina and Chile, an experience in itself. Exciting because the itinerary offers the possibility of uniting the stunning clay deserts, pumice and salt of the Argentine Puna with its wildlife, its micro Oases, its spaces and unaltered silences… with the volcanoes and mountains of Salt of the Atacama region plus two days of Andes crossing.
It is a trip to get to know in depth this region of Deserts and Volcanoes so much that sometimes we talk about Puna de Atacama. It is a journey designed on the trail of the ancient arrieros, chiefs of caravans that would travel across these deserts on foot with hundreds of cattle, to sell the meat to the Chilean mining towns.
A trip to visit the shrines of nature still in a wild stage, such as Laguna Grande at 4200 meters where every year 20000 Andean flamingos come to nest, the Antofalla Salt flat and its mineral deposits that shine on the sides of colourful mountains, or the Sulphur mountains of Mina Julia, the Ojos del Mar, the fields of Paja Brava sliding into Chile at sunset, up there where suddenly the Andes end and the Atacama Desert starts.
Ten days of overlanding travel with our 4x4 pick up car, with every safety on board, from satellite communication to the best local guides and all what’s necessary to get inside the heart of the high altitude deserts of Argentina and Chile, with every permit and authorisation to travel with no inconvenience between the two countries.
The overnight is always in small hotels with a very good level of service. All meals are included and organized by Socompa to offer the best even when it’s a Pic Nic at 4000 meters of altitude. Everything is taken care of in the details and every Journey is overlooked day by day from our Logistics office in Salta, to offer always the maximum safety.
Puna & Atacama is a trip of exploration of the Deserts for those who wish to explore to the maximum and at the same time to enjoy services, accommodation and meals that are always of high level and exclusive, considering the places visited.
Please find here under the brief Itinerary of the Puna & Atacama. To receive the full programme we kindly ask you to complete the contact form or to send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you very much!
Puna & Atacama Itinerary:
Day 1: Salta|Purmamarca|Uquía|Humahuaca|Tilcara|Purmamarca | (L|D)
Distance: 320 km paved road.
Altitude: Highest point 3.000 m./9.843 feet. Purmamarca 2.324 m. / 7.625 feet.
Estimated driving time: 4 hs
Day 2: Purmamarca|Cuesta de Lipan | Salinas Grandes | Susques | Paso de Jama| San Pedro de Atacama (B|L)
Distance: 350 km paved road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.700 m./15.420 feet. San Pedro de Atacama 2.475 m. / 8.120 feet.
Estimated driving time: 4 hs
Day 3: San Pedro de Atacama|Full Day Tour to Geysers del Tatio | Sunset in Valle de la Luna| San Pedro de Atacama (B|L)
Distance: 30 km paved road. 190 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.200 m./13.780 feet. San Pedro de Atacama 2.475 m. / 8.120 feet.
Estimated driving time: 5 hs
Day 4: San Pedro de Atacama | Lagunas Miscanti & Miniques |Paso de Sico | Pocitos | Desierto del Laberinto | Tolar Grande (B|L|D)
Distance: 110 km paved road. 250 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.600 m./15.092 feet. Tolar Grande 3.500 m. / 11.483 feet.
Estimated driving time: 6/7 hs
Day 5: Tolar Grande | Ojos de Mar | Duna Escondida | Tolar Grande | Caipe |Sunset in Tolar Grande (B|L|D)
Distance: 140 km earth track.
Altitude: Highest point 4.000 m./13.123 feet. Tolar Grande 3.500 m. / 11.483 feet.
Estimated driving time: 3 hs
Day 6: Tolar Grande | Cono de Arita | Oasis de Antofalla | Antofagasta de la Sierra | El Peñón (B|L|D)
Distance: 60 km paved road. 280 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.600 m./15.092 feet. El Peñón 3.400 m. / 11.155 feet.
Estimated driving time: 7 hs
Day 7: El Peñón | Campo de Piedra Pómez and/or Laguna Grande | El Peñón (B|L|D)
Distance: from 130 to 200 km of earth, gravel and salt tracks.
Altitude: Highest point 4.200 m./ 13.780 feet. El Peñón 3.400 m. / 11.155 feet.
Estimated driving time: 3hs or 6 hs.
1. The itinerary for Spring/Summer includes the tours to Campo de Piedra Pómez and to Laguna Grande.
2. The itinerary for Autumn/Winter includes the full day tour to Campo de Piedra Pómez, longer than the summer tour.
Day 8: El Peñón | Hualfin | Santa María | Quilmes | Cafayate (B|L)
Distance: 300 km paved road. 50 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.000 m./13.123 feet. Cafayate 1.683 m. / 5.522 feet.
Estimated driving time: 5/6 hs
Day 9: Cafayate |Quebrada de las Conchas | Quebrada de las Flechas | Molinos | La Paya (B|L)
Distance: 120 km paved road. 120 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 2.300 m./7.546 feet. La Paya 2.300 m. / 7.546 feet.
Estimated driving time: 4 ½ hs
Day 10: La Paya | Cachi | Los Cardones National Park | Cuesta del Obispo | Salta (B)
Distance: 120 km paved road. 60 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 3.500 m./11.483 feet. Salta 1.200 m. / 3.937 feet.
Estimated driving time: 4 hs
End of our services.
The Itinerary is subject to weather conditions in the region, for this reason last minute changes may take place in order to ensure a safe trip.
Food references: | B: Breakfast | L: Lunch |D: Dinner
1 Night in a Boutique Hotel of Purmamarca.
2 Nights in a Boutique Hotel of San Pedro de Atacama.
2 Nights in Hosteria Casa Andina www.casa-andina.com.ar
Casa Andina is a small 6-bedroom Hotel managed by the local community of Tolar Grande. All the rooms have private bathrooms and the facilities are comfortable and clean. The Hosteria does not include breakfast service; it has a common seating area, with a coffee maker and electric kettle to prepare tea at any time.
2 Nights in Hostería de Altura El Peñón www.hosteriaelpenon.com
The Hostería is an 8-bedroom small Lodge managed by SOCOMPA. The rooms are spacious, all of them with private bathroom, comfortable bed ware of pure cotton. The Hosteria offers restaurant services, Wi-Fi Internet connection (Satellite) and heating provided by stoves (wood). As managers of the Hotel we can ensure the best service to our guests, offering also personalized menues.
1 Night in a Boutique Hotel of Cafayate.
1 Night in Casa de Campo La Paya www.casadecampolaya.com.ar
1. Breakfast is included in every hotel, except Casa Andina (Tolar Grande), in this case it will be served in a local restaurant.
2. Accommodation in these properties is subject to availability. If there is no availability, we will propose options of the same category.
3. As an alternative, if there is no availability in Casa Andina (only hotel in town), there are Family Homes that receive guests and there is also a Refuge with shared bedrooms.
• Day 1: Meals not included.
• Day 2: Breakfast at the Hotel. Lunch in restaurant.
• Day 3: Breakfast in Geysers del Tatio. Lunch in a restaurant.
• Day 4: Breakfast at the Hotel. Box Lunch. Dinner in a restaurant.
• Day 5: Breakfast in local restaurant. Box Lunch. Dinner in restaurant.
• Day 6: Breakfast in local restaurant. Box Lunch. Dinner iat the Hotel.
• Day 7: Breakfast at the Hotel. Lunch in the Hotel or Box Lunch. Dinner at the Hotel.
• Day 8: Breafast at the Hotel. Surprise Lunch.
• Day 9: Breakfast. Box Lunch.
• Day 10: Breakfast at the Hotel.
1. Soft drinks are included with every meal.
2. In the Puna the provision of supplies is limited, so the meals are mostly based on local products.
3. Please be patient with the timing for the services.
Transportation & Guiding:
4WD vehicle of Socompa comprising:
• Professional Guide/driver.
• Permits for passenger’s transportation.
• Insurances for transported passengers and driver.
• Water (1 ½ liters per day per person) and snacks on board.
• Special equipment for overland trips (first aid kit, satellite communication, extra tools, fuel and extra tire).
• 24/7 Logistics support from the Salta office with daily monitoring
Thanks for your interest! We will respond soon! The Socompa team,
Our apologies... an unexpected error occurred and your message has not been sent. Please try to contact us directly by email (email@example.com) while our technical staff is working on this problem....