The Puna Exp is simply one of the best trips in the World for those who love deserts, nature and endless landscapes. It is a real desert trip, where often you do not cross any another vehicle for days and the only companions are your emotions and herds of wild vicuñas.
A five-day Overlanding Journey with our 4x4 pick-up truck, with every security on board, from satellite communication to the best local Guides and all the necessary to go into the heart of the High Altitude Deserts of the Puna.
The Puna Exp allows you to explore the best of the Puna in the Provinces of Salta and Catamarca, with the Villages of Tolar Grande and El Peñón used like perfect hub to travel in the Region . The itinerary includes: The Labyrinth Desert, the Ojos de Mar, Mina Julia and Casualidad, the Arita Cone, the Oasis of Antofallita and Antofalla, Campo de Piedra Pómez and Laguna Grande just to mention a few. Some of these places are located in one of the remotest area on Earth.
The key feature of the Puna Exp Trip is the variety of landscapes, a feature that makes it one of the best Photo Safaris Journey. Five intense days with no transfers, just a continuous succession of landscapes and diverse nature, without pause.
Traveling with Socompa you will experience our Hostería de Altura di El Peñón, just in front of two of the major highlights of the Trip, Campo de Piedra Pómez and Laguna Grande where, between late September and early May, you can spot up to 20.000 flamingos.
Besides the testimonies of Travelers from around the World, that sometimes arrived in Argentina only to visit the Puna, the Puna Exp has received important acknowledgment. The Trip has been published in the Travel Magazines Meridiani and Dove from Italy, Conde Nast Traveler, Financial Times (How to spend it) and Sunday Times and daily Telegraph from the UK and Sidney Morning Herald in Australia.
In the Puna we organize Photography Workshops for some of the most important photographers, such us Seth Resnick and John Paul Caponigro.
The overnight is always in small hotels with a very good level of service conidering where you are. All meals are included and organized by Socompa to offer the best, even when it’s a Pic Nic at 4000 meters of altitude. Everything details is organized and overlooked day by day from our Logistics office in Salta, to offer always the maximum safety.
The Puna Exp remains a real trip for travelers seeking for the best, unique sights and thrills with a minimum of a spirit of adventure and adaptation. It is a Journey for those who seek real emotions, for those who seek special moments of mental freedom.
Please find here under the brief itinerary of the Puna Exp, our best trip of 5 days to explore the Argentine Puna. To receive the full programme we kindly ask you to complete the contact form or write an e-mail to email@example.com.
Thank you very much!
Puna Exp Itinerary:
Day 1: Salta |Quebrada del Toro | San Antonio de los Cobres | Desierto del Laberinto | Tolar Grande (L|D)
Distance: 100 km paved road. 250 km earth track and gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.500 m./ 14.764 feet. Tolar Grande 3.500 m. / 11.483 feet.
Estimated driving time: 6 hs.
Day 2: Full day to Explore Tolar Grande Region:
Option A: Tolar Grande | Caipe | Salar de Río Grande | Mina Casualidad (Mina Julia) | Tolar Grande (B|L|D)
Distance: 130 km paved road. 180 km earth track and salt road.
Altitude: Highest point 5.200 m./ 17.060 feet. Tolar Grande 3.500 m. / 11.483 feet.
Estimated driving time: 7 hs.
Note: This option is recommended to travelers who are looking to explore the remote area of Mina Casualidad en Mina Julia. Travellers who do not mind in spending a full day on the 4x4 in order to reach some of the most amazing natural beauties of the Puna.
Option B: Tolar Grande|Ojos del Mar | Hidden Dune | Tolar Grande | Caipe | Sunset in Tolar Grande
Distance: 140 km earth track.
Altitude: Highest point 4.000 m./ 13.123 feet. Tolar Grande 3.500 m. / 11.483 feet.
Estimated driving time: 2 hs.
Note: This option is recommended to travelers who prefeur to dedicate a day to get to know the area of Tolar Grande, with the possibility of doing fantastic short hikes and to enjoy the surrounding landscapes, with only a few kilometers of driving.
Day 3: Tolar Grande | Cono de Arita | Oasis Antofallita and Antofalla | Vega Colorada |Quebrada de Calalaste | Antofagasta de la Sierra | El Peñón (B|L|D)
Distance: 340 km earth track and salt road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.500 m./ 14.764 feet. El Peñón 3.400 m. / 11.155 feet.
Estimated driving time: 7 hs.
Day 4: El Peñón | Campo de Piedra Pómez and / or Laguna Grande | El Peñón (B|L|D)
Distance: from 130 to 200 km of earth, gravel and salt tracks.
Altitude: Highest point 4.200 m./ 13.780 feet. El Peñón 3.400 m. / 11.155 feet.
Estimated driving time: 3hs or 6 hs.
1. The itinerary for Spring/Summer includes the tours to Campo de Piedra Pómez & White Dunes and to Laguna Grande.
2. The itinerary for Autumn/Winter includes the full day excursion to Campo de Piedra Pómez, White Dunes & Carachi Pampa Lagoons.
Day 5: El Peñón | Hualfin | Santa María | Cafayate | Quebrada de las Conchas | Salta (B|L)
Distance: 440 km paved road. 50 km gravel road.
Altitude: Highest point 4.100 m./ 13.451 feet. Salta 1.200 m. / 3.937 feet.
Estimated driving time: 7 hs.
Note: Visit to Quilmes Ruins upon Request! Entrance fee not included.
End of our services.
The Itinerary is subject to weather conditions in the region, for this reason last minute changes may take place in order to ensure a safe trip.
Food references: | B: Breakfast | L: Lunch |D: Dinner
2 Nights in Hosteria Casa Andina www.casa-andina.com.ar
Casa Andina is a small 6-bedroom Hotel managed by the local community of Tolar Grande. All the rooms have private bathrooms and the facilities are comfortable and clean. The Hosteria does not include breakfast service; it has a common seating area, with a coffee maker and electric kettle to prepare tea at any time.
2 Nights in Hostería de Altura El Peñón www.hosteriaelpenon.com
The Hostería is an 8-bedroom small Lodge managed by SOCOMPA. The rooms are spacious, all of them with private bathroom, comfortable bed ware of pure cotton. The Hosteria offers restaurant services, Wi-Fi Internet connection (Satellite) and heating provided by stoves (wood). As managers of the Hotel we can ensure the best service to our guests, offering also personalized menues.
1. Breakfast is included in Tolar Grande, prepared outside of the Hotel and in El Peñón it is included by the hotel.
2. Accommodation in these properties is subject to availability. If there is no availability, we will propose options or a change of dates.
3. As an alternative, if there is no availability in Casa Andina (only hotel in town), there are Family Homes that receive guests and there is also a Refuge with shared bedrooms.
• Day 1: Lunch in one of the best restaurants of Tolar Grande. Dinner in local restaurant.
• Day 2: Breakfast in local restaurant of Tolar Grande. Box Lunch. Dinner in local restaurant.
• Day 3: Breakfast in local restaurant of Tolar Grande. Lunch in a Oasis during the tour. Dinner in local restaurant.
• Day 4: Breakfast at the Hotel. Lunch or Box Lunch during the tour. Dinner at the Hotel.
• Day 5: Breakfast at the Hotel. Surprise Lunch.
1. Soft drinks are included with every meal.
2. In the Puna the provision of supplies is limited, so the meals are mostly based on local products.
3. Please be patient with the timing for the services.
4WD vehicle of Socompa comprising:
• Professional Guide/driver.
• Permits for passenger’s transportation.
• Insurances for transported passengers and driver.
• Water (1 ½ liters per day per person) and snacks on board.
• Special equipment for overland trips (first aid kit, satellite communication, extra tools, fuel and extra tire).
• 24/7 Logistics support from the Salta office with daily monitoring
Thanks for your interest! We will respond soon! The Socompa team,
Our apologies... an unexpected error occurred and your message has not been sent. Please try to contact us directly by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) while our technical staff is working on this problem....